Sales (877) 522-8836   Support (716) 229-0080 9am - 5pm EST

Connecting a Hikvision or Onvif IP Camera to a Dahua NVR

Dahua has built a pretty strong reputation for manufacturing standalone Digital Video Recorders (DVR) and Network Video Recorders (NVR) that live up to peoples expectations. Not only do they possess all of the features people have come to expect, but they also stand the test of time where others fail. With Hikvision arguably not having options that are as highly sought after, but with their IP cameras still being as popular as they are, it makes sense to look at Dahua to fill the gap.

**Please note that you will not be able to utilize the "built-in" PoE switch you find on some models of Dahua's NVRs if you are using Hikvision IP cameras.

Step 1: Configure Your Hikvision (or Onvif) IP Camera

For a Hikvision IP Camera, you’re going to be configuring your camera using the SADP tool located on the mini disc that came with your camera. Connect your IP camera to your network (router/switch) and ensure that it’s power on (PoE switch, power supply, etc…). Now click on Setup in the SADP folder located on the mini disc to install the tool. Once you have the SADP tool installed and open, use it to modify the network credentials of your IP camera to comply with your own network (including your NVR). The tool will automatically detect your Hikvision IP camera. You'll only need to select it from the list and then, if necessary, modify the cameras network parameters using the options located on the right side of the screen. All other Onvif IP cameras will have a similar IP configuration tool or software that you'll use to accomplish the same task.

sadp-tool

Tribrid DVR Owners

Those of you who own a Tribrid DVR will have an added step immediately following step one. If you haven't already discovered the Channel Type page in the menu, you'll need to now. It can be found located under the Setting section of the Main Menu, and then under Camera. From the next page, select the Channel Type option from the left side of the screen. Tribrids, as you probably already know if you own one, are compatible with standard definition analog, high definition (HD) analog, and IP cameras. The way this is made possible is by allowing the end user (you) to configure those cameras for any of those three signal types. On a Tribrid, you need to add IP cameras in reverse order. For example, using an 8 channel Tribrid DVR, we select the check box under the IP column for channel 8.

Snapshot_20150212_113741

If we decide later to add an additional IP camera, we just need to go back and change channel 7 to IP (and so on). Once you've changed the appropriate channel(s) to IP, click the Save button and then the Apply button. You're DVR will inform you that it needs to restart at this time. After it has finished rebooting, the changes you've made to the channel type will now be set, and you may move onto step two.

Step 2: Connect Your Hikvision (or Onvif) IP Camera

For this step, you’ll be using the Remote Device feature on the NVR. After selecting this option from the main menu, you may see your IP cameras IP address being displayed on the device list. Select the camera by clicking on the check box, and then click the add button. You will likely need to utilize the Edit feature at this time to input the proper credentials for your camera. If you do not see your camera being displayed, you will need to add the camera manually by clicking the Manual Add button located on the same page.

Snapshot_20150212_113814

To add a Hikvision IP camera, you will almost definitely have to use the Manual Add feature. After clicking the button, you will be brought to a pop up window (picture below). The screen you see below is the same screen that will open when using the Edit option.

Snapshot_20150212_113946

Immediately after selecting which channel you'd like the IP camera to be associated with, change the Manufacturer option to Onvif. After changing that from the drop down menu, you will notice a slight change in the layout of the screen.

Snapshot_20150212_114018

Once this change has occurred, continue through the remainder of the window and alter the settings as you need to. Your IP address will need to be changed the one you designated. After that, you'll need to change the username and password to match that of the camera; by default, Hikvision uses "admin" as the user and "12345" as the password. The last thing you'll be required to change is the tabbed option at the bottom of the screen. You simply need to change it so that TCP is checked instead if Auto.

You're now ready to click OK and be brought back to the previous page. Once back on this page, you'll see that your IP camera has now been added to the NVR. Verify that the Status column displays a green colored dot and not a red one. If you haven't already guessed, green indicates your camera is properly configured and connected to the NVR while red will indicate that something is incorrect with the way you setup the IP camera. If you find a red dot, the mistake is either in the configured network parameters within the camera, or with the way in which you attempted to add the camera.

**Please note that if you have not selected an IP from our compatibility list, a red dot can just as easily indicate an incompatible camera.

Snapshot_20150212_114033

Once it’s been moved to the Added Device list and the Status shows as green, click OK to save your work. After navigating back to the home screen, you should now see your IP cameras video feed being displayed on the channel you designated.

If you are sure that your IP camera is compatible with the NVR, but are still not able to get it connected, you can purchase networking assistance and receive hands on support from one of our tech specialists. For more information, please visit our Networking Support page.

is a Technical Support Manager at CCTV Camera World, a leading Security Camera distributor located in Buffalo, NY. His area of expertise is in designing professional security camera systems for medium and large scale businesses, schools, and government projects.

Connect with the author via: Twitter  |   Facebook  |   Youtube

21 thoughts on “Connecting a Hikvision or Onvif IP Camera to a Dahua NVR”

• its ok to add the device, but you havve full device support? can make changes or config like motion detect form dahua nvr to hikvision camera???

• CCTV Camera World July 6, 2015 at 1:21 pm

No you can't. Because of limitations with ONVIF you cannot get full support across different brands. You will have to do that manually using the web browser.

• Make sure to recycle power to the camera to have it start communicating with NVR

• Thank you for sharing that Dean.

• Ricardo Justiniano Moreno October 8, 2015 at 9:11 am

Great Post Don! And thanks for sharing your knowledge wuth us, I got this similar scenario: Dahua NVR with PoE swith built-in, 2 Hikvision IP cameras and 1 dahua camera. For some reason when I plugged the 3rd camera to the NVR it only shows red dot status, I could access the camera using his IP and everything was fine with the configuration so I switched the order of the cameras, plugged the 3rd camera first and so on but again the last camera was not working properly, changed the resolution from 1080p to 720p and I still got the same problem.Looking for answers to my problem I found your post and I think that my answer is related to this:"Please note that you will not be able to utilize the "built-in" PoE switch you find on some models of Dahua's NVRs if you are using Hikvision IP cameras"And now I'm asking you to please explain this deeply.Thanks in advance.

• CCTV Camera World October 19, 2015 at 10:26 am

The internal PoE switch on standalone NVRs is configured for functioning with the same manufacturer's cameras. So Hikvision NVRs are built for use with Hikvision IP cameras, and the same for Dahua. When you connect a IP camera to a NVR's built-in PoE switch, there is DHCP that is taking place by logging on to the camera using the default admin user credentials, and default commands. This process is manufacturer specific. When use different manufacturer cameras, it will not happen correctly. If you have managed to get the camera connected once, but it drops, there may be issues with PoE power on that port.

• Worked like a charm,thank you very much!

• Hi,I have a dhaua nvr and 12 hikvision camera I changed the IP address of the IP camera and i changed the IP address of the nvr.the nvr has no poe inbuilt. Therefore I used gigabyte two nos 8 port switch and connected all the IP cameras .I linked one switch to the another .I used cat6 wire and there is an approximate distance of 90 meter from the nvr and the ip cameras.then I open the nvr and selected the remote access option and a window opens and I click the search I get my 12 IP address of my camera and i added it and changes the password and other details and my all the 12 IP camera begins to display in the window it showed green status but after few hours the status become red then I didn't get my camera view then I tried on the next day first they came and they become red .I do no what was the problem please give me answer as soon as possible

• There may be a compatibility issue between the cameras and NVR. We suggest using Dahua cameras with Dahua NVR.

• shubhashish srivastava December 28, 2015 at 10:39 am

Hi, Can anyone please, help me or suggest to run both Dahua & Hikvision IP cameras togather on same Android or IOS app. I did tried to change the Port for hikvision cams from 8000 to any other port Nos# (e.g 1111)... or tried logging in with S/N nos: or P2P.My client has 4 Dahua IP cams & now looking for 3 HIKVISION IP cams. Just to update the Dahua NVR is able to show cams of both Dahua cams ( with same ports) & HIKVISION cams (due to ONVIF). but cant watch ip cams separately on either apps on android or IOS without NVR. Client don't want NVR on network. just direct cams on network.Looking for some Nice Apps updates on it for IOS & ANDROID....

• CCTV Camera World January 26, 2016 at 10:26 pm

You should research third party apps that allow for connection to any brand of ip cameras.

• Thanks for the information but my case is different. I have Dahua NVR4208-8P with built-in PoE switch, have a Dahua IPC-HFW1200 (x1) and Dahua IPC-HFW1220S (x3) but the NVR recognises only the one IPC-HFW1200. What could be wrong as all the cameras are same product Dahua ?

• CCTV Camera World May 10, 2016 at 9:52 am

Make sure your IP settings are set to DHCP

• All the four cameras are set to DHCP

• CCTV Camera World May 10, 2016 at 5:14 pm

Where did you purchase the cameras from?

• On Amazon. I can access the cameras via internet explorer but can't see them on the NVR and i don't want to use a PoE switch or injector because i already have a NVR with in-bult PoE of same product

• CCTV Camera World May 11, 2016 at 9:24 am

Have no idea. Contact the company you purchased them from.

• Okay thanks

• Hi, everyone. I'm trying to connect a TP-Link NC250 and a Dahua NVR. In fact, I can login to the IPC, but no image at all. Any ideas?

• Abdul Mateen Sheikh April 21, 2017 at 1:35 pm

I am getting red dot while connecting hikvision camera to Huawei NVR. Please suggest how I overcome this

• CCTV Camera World October 18, 2017 at 3:29 pm

They only work with HIKVISION NVRS.