If you have a retail store where cash is being handled, then having a security camera over the cash register is of the utmost importance. In general, employee theft can occur in various forms and can have a significant impact on a business. It is important for companies to implement measures to prevent and detect employee theft. A well-planned security camera system with high resolution cameras can aid the business user in keeping employees and customers safe, and hold them accountable for claims made against the business. For a small retail store like, security cameras monitoring a cash register can help to protect a business's assets and ensure the safety and security of employees and customers. Having recorded security footage over a cash register is important for several reasons:
- They can deter theft by employees or customers.
- They can provide evidence in the event of a theft or other crime.
- They can help identify and track suspects.
- They can help to monitor and improve employee performance.
- They can be used to resolve customer disputes or discrepancies related to business transactions.
- They can be used to verify compliance with security protocols and procedures.
How to choose the best surveillance camera for monitoring a cash register
There are several types of security cameras that are well-suited for monitoring a cash register:
- Dome cameras: These cameras are compact and best for a ceiling mount application, making them ideal for monitoring a cash register. They usually have a wide-angle lens, which allows for a larger field of view.
- Bullet cameras: These cameras have a cylindrical shape, and usually feature a narrower angle lens compared to a dome camera which lets you view objects further away in greater detail. They provide greater versatility for mounting options and can be mounted on the ceiling, wall, or even on a pole.
- Motorized Zoom cameras: These cameras come in dome and bullet varieties, and have a motorized lens that can be adjusted electronically from the security camera recorder, or remote viewing app to get the best angle of view.
- PTZ cameras: These cameras have pan, tilt, and zoom capabilities, which allow the user to monitor a large area and zoom in on specific details while watching the video live. These are ideal for any store where you'd like to be able to adjust not only the viewing angle of the camera, but also the position the camera is looking in.
What we recommend
If you're looking for the best that money has to offer at the writing of this article then feel free to purchase the following camera, and recorder to monitor one cash register. The recorder mentioned below can support up to 4 cameras. Just be sure to purchase 4 network cables as well.
- Vandal Proof 4K Dome Camera with 4X ZoomSpecial Price $399.99 Regular Price $529.99 As low as $349.99
- 4 Channel NVR PoE 4K H.265 H.264Special Price $299.99 Regular Price $349.99
Below is an explanation of why we feel the above mentioned camera is the best that money has to offer for monitoring a cash register.
If you'd like to get the best shot of bill denominations in transactions, then a high resolution 2K or 4K motorized zoom security camera or PTZ camera would be the best choice. Since ceiling heights in a retail store can vary, we made the following video to provide an example of what you can expect from our 2K Motorized Dome Security Camera or the 2K Turret Dome Camera mounted 6.2ft above the cash register.
Please note with the dollar bills laid out straight on a table, you're able to make out the denominations. But if the bills are being exchanged and are in the incorrect portion of the cash drawer, it would be hard to make out the denomination with any camera.
If your ceiling height is higher than 6ft, then we recommend our 4K Motorized Dome Security Camera which would provide greater detail. It would be suitable for distances up to 9ft above the cash register if you would like to be able to collect bill denomination in recorded footage.
It's important to note that, regardless of the type of camera, you should look for a camera with a high resolution and good low-light performance. This will ensure that you can clearly see the cash register and any suspicious activity. Also, it is good to have cameras placed in such a way that it covers all angles of the cash register and the surrounding area to have maximum security. Sometimes it may require two cameras, one to get a general view of the surrounding area, and another to capture the cash coming out of the register.
Regardless of which camera you choose for your retail store security system, we recommend using a security camera recorder to retain footage for at least one month. To calculate how much hard drive space you should purchase with your NVR or DVR, be sure to use our security camera storage calculator.
For further reading, we suggest reading about the pros and cons of having security cameras in a workplace.